Fond of fondant?
26 Feb 2017
Chocolate Fondant with Berry Coulis
Prep 45 mins (+ freezing & cooling time) Cooking 45 mins Serves 8
Fresh mixed berries, to decorate
Icing sugar mixture, to dust
1 1/3 cup (330ml) milk
Pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
8 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolks
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
300ml thickened cream
200g fresh or frozen raspberries
100g fresh or frozen mixed berries
1 tsp caster sugar
Cocoa powder, to dust
200g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
4 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
4 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolks
2 tbs plain flour
2 tbs cocoa powder, extra
- To make the caramel ice-cream, stir the milk, salt, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 mins or until heated through. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool slightly. Remove the vanilla bean. Discard. Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg yolks until pale and creamy. Slowly add the hot milk mixture, whisking continuously.
- Place the sugar and ¼ cup (60ml) water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil for 5 mins or mixture is a dark amber colour. Gradually stir in the cream (be careful as the mixture will bubble). Cook, stirring, until caramel dissolves and the mixture is smooth and combined. Whisk in milk mixture. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, for 8-10 mins or until custard coats the back of a spoon. Strain into a bowl. Set aside to cool. Churn in an ice-cream maker following machine directions (Alternatively, pour into a shallow metal container. Cover with foil. Place in the freezer for 6 hours or until firm. Use a metal spoon to coarsely break up the ice-cream. Quickly transfer to a food processor and process until smooth. Return to the metal container. Cover with foil. Place in the freezer for a further 4-6 hours or until firm.)
- To make the berry coulis, place the raspberries, mixed berries and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until berries soften. Strain through a fine sieve. Discard seeds. Place in the fridge to chill.
- To make the chocolate fondant, preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease eight 11/4 cup (310ml) ramekins. Dust with cocoa powder.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until the mixture melts and is smooth.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the sugar, eggs and egg yolks in a bowl for 8 mins or until thick and creamy. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Sift over the flour and cocoa and fold to combine. Divide the mixture among ramekins.
- Bake for 14-16 mins or until just set (puddings should have a slight wobble in the centre). Stand for 2 mins before turning out onto serving plates. Dust with icing sugar. Decorate with berries and serve with ice-cream and coulis.